Sunday, November 14, 2010

Bumps, Bruises, and Everything in Between

Right now, I sit on the couch reflecting on our day. I am physically and emotionally tired...done. Not done enough, however, to make sure I document this NUTSO day in history. Our morning started out like our usual Sunday morning. I made pancakes and sausage for breakfast...Nolan's favorite. After he ate, he did his usual gallop around the house. I heard a bang and found him on the floor crying. He must have tripped and hit his head on his play door. His poor little eye had a cut at the edge, and it was already starting to puff up. Lovely, I thought. Just in time for church. We rushed to get ready for 10:00 service. Keys in hand, Brad opened the door to let Nolan go to the car. His weight must have been leaning on the door because when it opened Nolan fell flat. The nice sippy cup I handed him as we were leaving jammed into his mouth. At first I didn't really think anything of it. He falls and cries multiple times a day. Didn't think much until Brad said a choice word or two with the word BLOOD mixed in between. I looked at him and his mouth was GUSHING blood. I hurried to grab a wet towel and some water to clean it up, but it would not stop bleeding. I could see his lip and saw the cut, but that did not seem to be where all the blood was coming from. Brad sat down with him in the chair and tilted him back. I lifted his lip amidst screams and kicks and flipped out!!!! You see our little man has a slight gap in his teeth. Kind of cute and not uncommon for little tikes. The puffy gum area between those two front teeth was bleeding like no other, and it appeared as though his upper inside lip was stuck in between. It was swollen and bloody and we could not tell one way or another what exactly had happened. Because of all the blood and possibility of his lip being jammed in his teeth we thought about going to the emergency room. Of course, serious things only happen on the weekend when the doctor's office is closed. So, I did what any first time parent would do. I called my mom. As soon as I began telling her what happened, I started to cry. I don't know why..overwhelmed and scared I guess. She seemed to be an expert on this type of thing and told us to chill out and put some ice on it. So we did. Turns out that this kind of injury is VERY common among kids and it will heal itself. We sat on the couch to love on our poor booboo. I looked over to see something and the next thing I know Nolan is head down on the floor. To add injury to injury, he fell off the couch and did a face plant. He cried and then I cried. I felt so bad for him. What a morning he had! Needless to say we did not make it to church.


To end on a funny note, we had a great rest of the day. No more injuries and he even had a visit from Grandmommy. He had a little diaper accident, so we took an early bath. We played in the water, and talked with Grandma and Pat via Skype. Toward the end of our chat, I saw him make his "face". My friends, as if my day could not get anymore interesting my "NEVER BEFORE HAVE POOPED IN THE TUB" baby did the unthinkable. He pooped in the tub. I called for my wonderful husband, and the first thing he does is grab the video camera. Warning...there is a little "present" that you may not want to see. OHH!!!! And to add insult to nastiness....when we got him out of the water and put him down, he peed all over my bathroom floor. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment