Sunday, February 20, 2011

V-S-D is G-O-N-E :)

As most of you know, Nolan was diagnose with ventricular septal defect...VSD...when he about 6 months old. You might remember this post:
http://erinbradnolan.blogspot.com/2010/02/vsdakahole-in-heart.html


That was the hardest parent day I have had in his 18 months of life. Talk about extreme emotions. I went from being beyond terrified to beyond elated that while he did have a defect it was common and likely to go away. This past year we have thought little about it. In fact, the only time I thought about it was at well/sick visits when Dr. Ladd would take a listen. So, when Wednesday came and it was time to go back to the cardiologist, I was slightly nervous for him, but in no way as nervous as the first time. When we drove up to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital, the tears started. Not for Nolan, but for another family. At the entrance to the hospital, I noticed a family of 5 in a circle holding hands with their heads bowed. I quickly realized how lucky we had it. So many families experience far worse, and my heart swelled with emotion.

This appointment was much better than the first taking half the time. The EKG came back great, and Dr. Kausick was please. She said that she feels that the VSD has healed itself, but that she was not ready to release him from cardiology. Nolan was super congested the day of his appointment, and because of that she was having a hard time getting a clear listen to his heart. So, we will go back when he is three (I can't believe that one day he will be THREE) for a heart echo to really be sure that it is gone.

These pics were taken after his appointment. For some reason, he was in a solemn mood. He would not smile for my camera. I didn't care. While I LOVE my goofy...nerdy...energetic boy, I LOVE LOVE my soft...loving...sensitive baby :)

No comments:

Post a Comment