Thursday, July 15, 2010

I was reminded......

That just because they are gone...they are not forgotten :) Today I ran in to Publix to get a chicken for dinner tonight. It was an in and out kinda trip. As I was walking away from the deli section I noticed this orange box...............

As soon as I saw the spelling and windmill, I knew was it was. SPECULAAS....an almond spice cookie eaten at Christmas!!!! I am sure hundreds of people walked by these cookies today and did not even stop....the ones who did were probably thrown off by the burnt color of the cookie. These cookies are hard to find at Christmas...forget July! Speculaas have been in my life since my mother married my step dad. Gary's parents immigrated from Holland where these cookies originate. Mom and Pop brought us these cookies every Christmas. They were fun, old, Dutch people....the best way to describe them. Mom Wortel grabbed you buy the face, and Pop greeted you with a hug. They were beyond thrilled when Patrick came along, and I know they would be thrilled with Nolan too. While the Dutch culture is not in my gene pool...it is in my heart :)


Here are the different shapes. My favorite is Sinter Klaas (a version of Santa) on the horse :)


Nolan loved his first Speculaas!


No comments:

Post a Comment